In the words of French scholar of Classical Studies Pierre Hadot, to ancient Greeks and Romans, philosophy was not simply an intellectual curiosity, but also a set a practices meant to bring greater enlightenment and self-mastery. Many of these practices are just as relevant to the human condition today. In this workshop:
(1) we'll review some basic tenets of the Greek and Roman philosophical worldviews (Stoicism, Epicureanism, etc.) inhabited by ancient astrologers of the day.
(2) Then we'll examine some of the "spiritual exercises" practiced by these philosophers, such as Porphyry and Marcus Aurelius. Philo of Alexandria's list of spiritual exercises includes:
- Attention (prosoche), a 24/7 self-consciousness
- Meditation (meletai), to reflect on one's actions
- Research (zetesis), investigation (skepsis) and reading (anagnosis), to collect information for personal exploration
- Listening (akroasis), to be open to experiences
(3) Finally you will learn techniques to practice these exercises yourself or to share them with your astrological clients as a form of remediation.
As an astrologer, hypnotist, and member of a Hermetic order, workshop instructor Donna Woodwell has more than 20 years' personal experience practicing modern descendants of these ancient techniques. Her real-life anecdotes will illustrate the perks and challenges of living philo-sophically in a modern world.